We believe that it is unacceptable to waste energy.
Our mission is to produce energy storage systems for dynamic loads to deliver significant energy & emission savings for a wide range of industries.
PUNCH Flybrid is based at the Silverstone Circuit and is part of the PUNCH-Group, a family owned Tier 1 manufacturer and integrator of full driveline solutions.
At PUNCH Flybrid we are working on exciting and innovative projects that typically include truly novel engineering content. This creates opportunities for our staff to stamp their mark on the final product whilst developing and extending their skill set.
We work with small as well as very large organisations, offering a dynamic and interesting work environment.
This role is based at our modern facility in Silverstone, Northamptonshire, UK, but may require travel both within the UK as well as internationally.
About the role
Reporting to the Engineering Manager the Principal Electrical design engineer is responsible for design, specification, performance and system safety across our energy storage products. Flybrid products utilise both batteries and Flywheels sharing common electrical architecture. There is potential for this role to include team and functional leadership for the right candidate.
• Develop reliable and cost-effective solutions through understanding of internal and external customer technical requirements ensuring all solutions maximize value
• Create hardware specifications based on internal and supplier opportunities
• Lead selection of electrical hardware executing feasibility and prototypes as required
• Collaborate with mechanical engineers on correct and safe installation of batteries
• Create system architecture options providing objective and subjective comments
• Maintain risks and mitigation for electrical system
• Collaborate on controls, mechanical and software specifications to optimise electrical design
• Analyse and translate high level requirements into a validated design for the electrical requirements
• Work directly with modelling function to facilitate system simulation
• Evaluate different technologies and suppliers for critical system components such as drives and inverters
• Prototyping new designs
• Develop, execute and review electrical tests that will provide evidence demonstrating that the electrical requirements have been satisfied
• Produce reports and associated documentation
• Support product commissioning and fault finding at both a system and component level
• Produce electrical schematics/wiring diagrams, cable schedules, panel/enclosure designs, interface drawings, loom drawings, P&ID’s and cable block diagrams, etc. as required by the project
• Develop and submit creative ideas to improve PUNCH Flybrid value proposition. This could be battery only or battery + Flywheel solutions
Qualifications & Experience
• Demonstrable experience of developing and supporting equipment utilising motor drives and inverters, sensors and control electronics
• Min 5 years’ experience in an Electrical design engineering related role preferably in a product development and manufacturing environment
• Experience of EPLAN (or similar) software for creating wiring schematics would be advantageous
• Degree-qualified or with equivalent experience and qualifications
• Good engineering understanding (understanding drawings, schematics & specifications)
• Good knowledge of electronics communication protocols (CANBus / Modbus)
• Analytical skills and ability to drive outcomes
• Experienced in undertaking feasibility and design reviews
• Opportunity to lead architecture and design decisions
• A Competitive Salary
• Pension Contribution of 8% of salary
• Private Healthcare which includes dental and optical cover
• 25 days holiday, plus bank holidays
• On-site parking
• Flexibility & Family Friendly policies
This role may offer the opportunity for hybrid working where you can split your time between working from home and in the office. At PUNCH Flybrid, hybrid working is a voluntary, non-contractual arrangement providing employees with more choice and flexibility around how, when and where they work. Our guiding Principal is that the task will determine the location of the work.
PUNCH Flybrid is committed to equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion for all, we will gladly make reasonable adjustments for applicants during our recruitment process to ensure that we attract and retain the best individual for the role.